The Albany rotary gear pump was created in 1901 in the Old Kent Road area of South London in a small workshop controlled by R. White & Co. Mineral Water Manufacturers. This workshop and associated brass foundry had already existed for about 10 years. In 1904 a patent (No. 25,222)"Improvements in or relating to Rotary Pumps" was obtained following 3 years of supply of standard pumps. Throughout the years various improvements to gear pump design have led to other patents and product features being developed. Albany was located in London until the factory was destroyed on the third day of the Blitz in 1941. The firm’s wartime wanderings included five years in farm buildings in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, before settling in the present 2 acre site at Lydney in Gloucestershires Forest of Dean (England) in 1946.
Over the years Albany has undertaken to increase its product range by incorporating other pump companies, some of whose trade names are still used today.
1930s, Albany bought the centrifugal pump business of J. Stone of Deptford, London.
1974, Handoll Pump & Engineering Co. Ltd and Associated Pumps of Croydon, London.
1980, Brooke Tool Systems Limited of Birmingham was acquired along with Warwick Pumps.
1987, Barclay Kellet Pumps of Bradford
1988, Crown Pumps of Feltham, Middlesex
1992, Stanhope Pumps of Bradford
1999, Stothert & Pitt Pump division 
2002, FF Pumps of Ireland
2015, Albany becomes an employee owned company
The company continues to operate from its Lydney site, with a smaller manufacturing site at Bradford, England. The original gear pump design has been developed into modern and reliable machines capable of working for up to 100,000 hours on important lubrication duties. As well as Gear pumps, Albany produces Centrifugal Pumps, Lobe, and Twin Screw Pumps (based on Stothert & Pitt Design).